20.3.09

I need some Mummy Advice!!

On the Easter weekend we are flying over to Melbourne for a wedding.

Now, Emery is sleeping through the night - for roughly 12hrs and our flight is a 'red-eye' flight and we land in Melbourne roughly 2am (Fri morning). What do I do with her? Is this going to seriously mess up her routine? What if she cries the whole flight? Do I just try feed her to keep her quiet?

I know the weekend is going to mess her around a little, but I'm hoping it won't be too bad and that when we get home she will be ok, but I would really appreciate if any mum's out there have done this before?

Are there certain things I should pack? What should I take on board with me? What should we do when we get to Melb?

I'm planning on keeping her feeding times the same as WA time. We are only there for a short period of time so I don't see the need in trying to re-set her body clock.

Anyway...any advice or ideas would be FANTASTIC!! Thanks guys!

3 comments:

Mark Edwards said...

well here is some dad advice!
we took Ruby to Melbourne when she younger....

Who are you flying with? Qantas has a row of seats (normally near front) with extra legroom and a fold down baby bed. Ruby slept the whole way....excellent.
It is worth asking the question. These days you can pick which seats you want, if you are quick enough.

It also depends on your child. we took our kids through 'growing kids Gods way',...now not everyone agrees with this program, or all of it, but we adopted much of it, and the sleeping bits worked..for us.

Also, kids have sensitive ears, and sometimes the pressure of the cabin really affects them, so I advise, if your doctor says its okay, giving them a small bit of kids panadol beforehand, it will help her sleep.

Jen said...

I flew with Eli when he was 5 months old, and it was the same red-eye flight. My suggestions (which worked for me, but your child may be completely different)

*Put her to bed at the normal time. Keep her in her pyjamas for the flight.

*Let her sleep when she wants to. Don't force the issue at the airport or on the plane.

*At take off and landing, either breast or bottle feed, to stop her ears popping. Do this when they are doing the checks to see if you've got your seatbelt on or just as you begin to descend. If you do it too soon, she may finish before the time you need her to be swallowing.

*Don't stress if she cries. Most people will understand. Walk the aisles if you need to. Take a dummy, if she uses them, or even if she doesn't, just in case. (Eli didn't)

*Take a blanket if you are travelling el cheapo. Those planes get FREEZING, and they don't supply blankets.

*If you ask, the staff will try and get you seating where there are 3 seats. Then you can let her sleep on the spare chair.

*Take some phenergen with you. *grin* If all else fails... drug her *wink*

I think that's about it. I'll let you know if I think of anything else. Have fun on your holiday!

Leesie-poo said...

Bring her up to Sydney to see Auntie Ellie, that'll cure anything =)