14.9.06

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of bek... part 2

In 1994 my family moved to Perth. I remember my parents going to Perth to speak at a church, and then after a few months was asked how we ((he kids) felt about moving to Perth. Since I was a huge loner at school I was up for it, my bro wasn't too keen first off but soon came round, the younger two were too young to understand.
You may have noticed I referred to my siblings as "the kids", we all call each other "the kids" I still call them "the kids" it's just our name for us all because we're too lazy to refer to each other singularly.
I was about to turn 10, robbo had just turned 7, kate 5 and little druth, still in nappies. Growing up in Cairns, we spent most our time in undies and that's it, it was just sooo hot. We headed off in our car (van) on an adventure to a new place. I had never heard of WA! I was completely naive. Whenever I look back on Cairns, I miss it. Don't you ever look back at your childhood and wish you could go back? My backyard was my world! We had a massive Mango tree I used to climb with Robbo and we would take a spoon with us and eat all the mangoes we wanted – I can now no longer even handle the smell on mangoes, I claim I overdosed on them and haven't touched them since. We also had 2 mulberry trees which had big leaves that created a cubby house, 2 lemon trees and a couple coconut ones ( I think) In QLD they have what you call "green ants" they are nasty if you get bitten by them! But my brother and I used to bite their bums off and suck on them. They were a kinda sour taste. This also helped eliminate them!! (haha – evil laugh – our plan was to save the world from them) They create these huge nests from the leaves and when the whole nest gets on you, theres no stopping them! I was helping mum one arvo by picking a few lemons and I must've upset one to many ants because a whole nest got on me, in my eyes, biting all over. We had people over for dinner that night and I couldn't even open my eyes, I just cried and went to bed. Here's a couple of photos of the nasty critters…when they bite you, their little bums go up in the air. The nest in the photo is a small one.


Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked. I guess I'm just putting in little stories as I remember them because I feel they explain who I am a little bit more. I was always in another world. I don't think people will ever grasp how much of an air-head I was. I still day-dream most of the day, and I have trouble communicating verbally a lot because my mind is always another step ahead. Russell gets so frustrated when I'm trying to explain things to him. They make sense to me, but for some reason he doesn't understand my way of thinking and this has been one of the things that has isolated me the majority of my life.
Actually-I want to have a small rant here. All my life people have called me 'PK' . You may have even called someone else this? I still get called it and I am 22, and I get called it from people who are even 40 and over. PEOPLE! You don't know how isolating this is to the people you call this. I was an isolated person as it was, but people had to make me even more isolated by naming me things based on my fathers job. DON'T DO IT! You honestly don't understand how words can take an effect on people. This isn't just with Pastors children, but anyone who maybe different to you. I don't understand how even people we call 'wise' in church, can name call to this extent. DON'T DO IT – if I catch you, you better watch out.
Well this is kinda long, so I'll end it here (but continue later) Sorry it wasn't really about my move to Perth, but it is still part of my journey.
To be continued…
p.s ive tried and tried and cant get these blasted green ant pics up for you, sorry!

No comments: