11.12.06

like sands through the hourglass so are the days of bek...part 3

It has been so long since I updated this particular post that I decided to get my act together and do the next instalment.
I left it at the drive over. We spent roughly 5 weeks driving over from QLD to WA. On the way we stopped off in Brisbane and Sydney and a few other places on the way to say hi to the majority of our family over there. Most of them still are actually we only have our family of 6 plus Granny and now partners here. So it is very rare that we get to spend any time with our family – DON’T TAKE YOUR FAMILY FOR GRANTED! I wish I had mine here. I am fairly close with my cousins and its hard not getting to spend much time with them.
I remember my parents promising me that we would get to spend my 10th birthday in Brisbane with Granny, but our van died in Bowen (a small town) on the 2nd day (Im pretty sure) of our trip! So that’s where I spent my birthday. In a caravan park waiting for our car to be fixed. Dad made up for it though by sticking lollies up his nose when Granny wasn’t watching. It was hilarious!
Anyway we headed on with our journey and didn’t have too many other hassles on the way. I vividly remember the majority of the sights. Different States and different views, Im lucky I was old enough to remember these things. My younger brother and sister don’t remember anything.
Robbo and I had the back seats of the van and things we got up to…We would hide under a quilt and I would eat all of his lollies, we would read and make ourselves sick. We also watched my sister wake up and wonder where her pillow had gone – she had rested it on her OPEN window and it had fallen out on the journey – she still gets teased to this day. Dru also had a little "treasure" his "baby" it was a tatty old pillow he took with him everywhere! Robbo and I woke up to find him clinging onto his "baby" for dear life (he was 3 at the time) as it had slipped out the window and his tiny little fingers where trying to hold onto it. He didn’t utter a single noise! We just woke up saw his panicked face and Robbo helped pull "baby" to safety. I will never forget the look on his face, or his little fingers slowly losing their grip. It still makes me laugh now!
There are so many great memories from that trip. I think it bonded us as siblings, even if we still fought a lot growing up. Our family still remember different stories and often laugh around the dinner table about them. Much to Russells dislike. He doesn’t understand how we can laugh at the same thing over and over. It probably doesn’t help when I turn to tell him another story and he says "you’ve already told me this!"
When we arrived in Perth, we went straight to one of the Elders (of our new church) families place and had dinner. It was spaghetti! Don’t know how I still remember that! We then got taken to the place that the Church rented for us to stay in until we found a new house. I cant remember how long we were there for but I remember getting to move into our new house. It is 2 streets away from Thornlie and we could walk to church every Sunday (we complained loudly about this). I love this house. Over the backyards fence are ovals and we used to climb the fence and play on the ovals, go bike riding, and catching tadpoles. The house has gone through many changes, including turning the lounge room into mum and dads room, it has a pool, and now a Granny Flat called "The Shed" which is where Granny lives. They decided on calling it "The Shed" because Dad always offered to put Granny up in our little tin shed where the Granny Flat is now. We had a little competition to come up with a name, and the only thing us furlongs could come up with was the Pat Flat (Grannys name is Patricia). Sometimes we secretly call it that, but Granny hates it. So it’s "The Shed" for now.
Anyway, we settled into WA and had to adjust to all the differences. Not only a new State and weather happenings (we didn’t even own jumpers!) but also another denominational church. We were bapo’s and we had moved to a Church of Christ. Not much difference really. Deacons/Elders, Communion every fortnight/Every week, Sunday school before church with a pickup bus/Sunday during Church (although this really hasn’t got anything to do with denomination). So only slight differences, Thornlie was bigger though. I remember doing rolly polly’s down the hallway in front of dads office with Robert, and shoving leaflets through his little letter box next to the door. We also had to settle into a new school where you used to have to use flags to get the teachers attention (this story will have to be on a whole different post) and to making new friends. One girl I met within our first week here was Sally Cathles! She was on her way to a ballet class and she had such frizzy hair. She was also one of my bridesmaids and is getting married to Karl on the 30th of this month. How Exciting! Its great to still be friends after so long.
Anywho, I will have to finish off because this is so long, and Im at work!! Better hit those mounting files !!

No comments: