10.8.09

A tranquil life from just $240k ???

There is a certain road that Russ and I drive down regularly and the above is on a billboard next to a new estate that is slowly rising.



Every time I see the sign I can't help but smile at myself. What a joke! If all it cost me was a measly little $240k to have a tranquil life I would start saving.



But, we all know that there is no price tag on having a tranquil life. A new house with new furniture and beautiful neighbors houses is not going to give me a tranquil life. We may have the appearance of being tranquil, but inside may be a different matter. Inside we could be struggling with depression, anxiety (at having such a huge debt), disjointed family relationships, tension in our marriage, children who are crying out for more of us and turning to others/objects for satisfaction.



Just having a new home is not going to give me a great family life, nor will it give me fulfillment in my work or relationships.



Now, I'm not saying that having a new home is wrong. What I'm saying/asking, is what is the intent behind having a new home? Is it because we believe that it will restore broken family relationships? That it will remove some of the tension in our marriage?

A tranquil life doesn't have a price tag. And the sooner we stop listening to the lies we are force fed everyday, the sooner we will be able to move down the path of having a truly tranquil life.

No comments: