31.8.06

The White Masai

A few weeks ago I went and saw a movie at the Luna cinema in Freo. I saw the White Masai. A few of the girls at work had been reading the book, and I was waiting for one of them to finish so I could read it, but the opportunity came up to go see the film for free. Off I headed with one of the girls from my small group into Freo to see the flick. You know when you see some movies, you leave with a horrible feeling lurking over you. This was one of those movies. I left puzzled and confused as to many of the decisions the young woman makes. It is based on a true story, however the movie is different from the book in quite a few ways. Its about a woman who goes to Kenya on holiday with her boyfriend, sees a ‘Masai’ (a tribal warrrior) and falls in love with him. Let me note, “THEY HADNT EVEN MET YET!” *achem* She decides not to go back to Switzerland, and decides to try and live with this Masai. She moves to his small tribe, lives in a hut with him, they get married, have a child, and eventually after a few years she leaves him. The whole movie/book she complains about a lot of things. She doesn’t make the ‘real move’. In my mind, if you have made the decision to move to another country, you have to take on everything. You can’t just try and make everything to be the same as our Western culture. Isn’t this what our missionaries do? They are called to a country and they move to that country and respect certain cultures. The woman was infuriating. I started reading the book when I got a chance, and the book was even worse! She makes non-stop complaints, refuses to help do anything around the village, and ends up leaving her poor husband behind. After having some time to think over things, I have come to the conclusion that our missionaries are extraordinary people. Whether in another country or in our own backyard ( Hamo  ) If you are going to make the commitment to go to another country, at least have the decency to respect other cultures woman! Anyway, I would still recommend people see the flick. It is interesting, and has some good side stories along the way. I always find other cultures very interesting, and this film only flamed the fire. Some of you may know, whenever missions is on at church, or I catch wind of a mission trip coming up, I am usually the first to put up my hand to go. However, I have only been on one mission trip. God just keeps saying “Hold off for a while, Hold off”. I know I will go somewhere one day, and when I do, it will start like rain. First one place, then another, and another. Anyway, I’ve digressed an awful lot. Go see the movie, I kinda suggest it  Here are a few of the pictures from the movie, and YES she actually went and got married in a white wedding dress in the bush!

2 comments:

backyardmissionary said...

this is a great metaphor for how we do mission in both other countries and abroad!

why do we so often insist that people come and adopt our rituals and practices - singing and sermon - rather than communicating the gospel in their own rituals and practice?

bek said...

thats exactly my point. dont bother going if you are going to just try and instill your culture in their lives when it really has no place