11.5.07

Today is going to be a good day

I havnt had the best week this week.

However, this morning while I was catching the bus into work, I popped on my MP3 and started to listen to a sermon by Rob Bell. I got about 2mins into it and decided that I wanted to listen to music instead.

I put on Taking Back Sunday’s ‘Louder Now’. Its amazing how music can just reach down into you very soul and stir things up for you! I may be the only person who thinks that….but ah well.
As I was sitting on the bus I got to watch one of the most beautiful sunrises I have seen in a very long time! Its funny, we move closer to the beach and we still havnt seen a sunset over the sea, yet when we lived a long way from the beach, we would drive an 1hr just to see the sunset over the beach! It has been a few years since Ive seen a sunrise over the hills and I was just gobsmacked this morning. It was really beautiful.

So there I was, trying not to look too much like a doofus grooving away in my seat to the musical geniuses that are Taking Back Sunday. I had my eyes closed (as this is the easiest way to concentrate on every note and every beat) and was just listening to the music. I wasn’t paying as much attention to the words as I was the notes, beats, tunes, melodies, harmonies, etc. When I listen to/play music it really gets my energy levels back up. This morning reminded me of what my passions in life have always been. Music, and mission.

What the?? Where did I get mission from?

While I was grooving away in the back seat of my bus I was thinking about all the music I love and how much I miss playing my instrument and how much I love to sing and be involved in anything musical. I started thinking about church – not a good idea, that just got me frustrated, so I stopped. My mind just started wandering and I was thinking about all the mission trips I have been on and the ones that I have missed. I started thinking about how I want to be more involved in missions and that Im tired of listening to other peoples wishes over my own (by this I mean that there have been a few mission trips that I havnt gone on because people have talked me out of it).

So, here I am thinking about the two greatest passions in my life, music and mission. Having all these thoughts running through my head and trying to devise plans that will set me on some sort of journey.

I want to go back to Bible College and finish off some of my studies (YES I KNOW – I still havnt handed in my assignment that was due in Oct. I am hoping to get some of it done this weekend, and hand it in. Even if I do fail!)

I want to start getting back into my music (although I highly doubt this will be at church). I also want to start planning to go, (or at least plan to send others) on a mission trip (early) next year (Ive already used up most of my holidays for this year!!!) I also started thinking about possible internships or other Bible Colleges that I could possibly join. Not sure where that will happen or even if its possible, but its something Im interested on.

Now, all this has happened, simply by listening to some music and watching a sunrise this morning. I think its because for about an hour today I quietened my heart and was open to hearing from God and things happened! (even if I was listening to Pagan music!!!)

Here are just a few links to the cd’s I was listening to this morning:

Taking Back Sunday, Incubus, and The Getaway Plan

No comments: