17.11.06

anger management

How do you deal with issues? Do you bottle or do you erupt?
I am an erupter. Russell is a bottler. Hence we have issues. But who doesnt?
I have such a short temper, that the smallest thing can get me so angry. I get "mild" road rage and nearly got Russell beaten up on one occassion. I give people "the look" when Im driving. If someone cuts me off or does something stupid, Ill drive up next to them, JUST to give them "the look". I think I learnt this look off my father :)
As I mentioned in a previous post, Russell and I had an argument on Sunday night. Russell was completely calm the whole time. But it made me so angry! I just wanted him to show a little emotion instead of being so calm. He kept asking why I was getting so snappy at him when he was speaking so calmly. I said its because he was purposely pushing my buttons to make me snap.
This is an issue I think I need to deal with. Ive always thought it better to get things out rather than bottle them up.
Dad preached at church one night about anger and he said that people who bottle up, when they finally explode, the damage is more severe. But that doesnt necessarily mean that having little ourbursts all the time is the way to go. God's anger builds up. Take the Israelites for example, God was patient, but his anger was slowly building, until it was unleashed on the Israelites, and how damaging was that for them? Separated and lead off as captives! This doesnt mean he is out to destroy us, but...I dont know, maybe this is a whole other topic.
Hence, I have started to pray for self-control. I need self-control in many aspects of my life, but at the moment Im dealing with my anger issue. Maybe I need to sign up for anger management!

2 comments:

fletchboy said...

Hmmm...."self control".....now where have I seen that listed as a good trait. ....dunno....seems like it is in a list in some book I read somewhere. Ummm....lets see...I thin k it was "Love, joy, peace...." ummm.... Yeah, that's it. What book was that?! ;-) Anger management? Yep. Can they teach it at TAFE? Doubtful. If it doesn't come from the inside out, they will probably just teach you ways to become a bottler. ;-)

A lot of it comes down to a "rights" issue. If I have been crucified with Christ, I am dead. What rights do I have? Do I have a right to have people drive courteously around me? I would like to think so, but guess what? NOPE. A dead man doesn't even have the right to drive! :-D Bek, don't become a bottler (although you DID insinuate that Russell was more like God because God is a bottler...grin). Let Jesus work grace into your life and then through your life to the people around you....whatever that looks like! ;-)

Greg

bek said...

you make me laugh :)