17.11.06

a massive praise point

When someone asks you to pray about something, do you do it? I know that when it comes to someone is in hospital or sick, I never think to pray about it. It's not that I dont care that someone could lose their life, its just that I dont really think my prayer could do anything to make things better, so I generally wont pray about it (bad I know).
However, one of the chicks in my small group found out on one of our group nights a few weeks ago, that her cousin in England was told she didnt have long to live. She has terminal cancer and was diagnosed roughly 2 years ago. She contracted something (sorry Im sketchy on the details) on top of her cancer about 2 months ago and was told she only had less than a year to live. She asked our group to pray for her cousin. For the first time in my life, I actually did. I dont know what it was. Maybe because it was a little closer to home for me. The fact that one of my close friends might lose her cousin (who is only 22) shook me. Every morning in the shower I would pray, when going to sleep I would pray, during my day at work, if I thought of her, I would pray. What was going on!! I dont do this! Anyway, it felt as though I was doing more damage than good. Whenever I havnt prayed for someone (yet the church has) they have recovered and completely healed (Im not saying this happens in EVERY situation). But recently 2 people at my old church had cancer (really bad, and were given only a short time to live) have been healed, and the cancer has completely gone away! But this time while praying for Jo (the cousin) it felt like she was only getting worse. Every report we heard was worse. She was next told she had till Christmas, next she was told she had 72 hours. Thats when our good friends headed off to Scottland and England to be with her and family. They were gone for about 2 & 1/2 weeks. We only got 1 msg of news which was "she has improved a little over the last few days" which was amazing to hear itself!
Last night our friends re-joined our small group and gave us all the news. Jo has overcome the sickness that had affected her so poorly and is on the mend. She still has terminal cancer, but the family are hoping she will be able to make it to one more Christmas.
I felt so happy! I had never been a part of something so huge. To be a part of family who I have no relation to, no emotional, or biological attachment to, but to set aside time to pray for them, was truly amazing. It has been encouraging to see God move in miraculous ways and to be a part of that is something I dont want to miss out on again.
Praise God for restoring Jo, but please continue to pray for another miracle - no more cancer!

No comments: