9.11.06

something ive been pondering

Contraception.
Is it morally right?
Lately Ive been thinking about the Israelites. Dont know why, I just have. They didnt have contraception back then (in the OT). They had loads of children! Take this family for instance...They have 15 children! (I think they are expecting #16) They just keep popping them out! Is this what God intended? Have we just taken the control out of Gods hands and taken control of our lives?
*If my man is reading this - dont freak- Im not about to drop some bomb*
I have just been thinking about society and how we have changed over the many years.
Im not really sure where I stand on this issue. I dont like to think I am taking the control out of Gods hands and saying - my time and my will, not yours. But on the other hand, does God want us to put ourselves at risk of not being able to provide for our child and ourselves? *I know I know God will provide*
But Im not quite sure where I sit on this. Its something Ive just been thinking about lately. It isnt something you really talk about in Sunday school, church or small group. By the time your old enough to be in a small group (young adult age) you kind of talk about it but dont really have a formed opinion on it OR any real answers on it in fact.
So once again...Im asking for your opinion!

This is there story:

We chose to use the birth control pill. After our first child was born,
Michelle started back on the pill, shortly after, she miscarried. We found that
sometimes the birth control pill will allow you to conceive, but then cause a
miscarriage. We then realized we had the same heart attitude about children as
those willfully choosing abortion (wanting to make our own plans, live our own
lives, children could be a bother or interruption). We searched the scriptures
& found that God says, “Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: & the
fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so
are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them”
(Psalms 127:3-5). We asked God to forgive us for not wanting to receive His
gifts, & we gave Him control of this area of our lives. We’ve been married
20 years & have been blessed with 15 precious gifts, 10 boys & 5 girls,
which include two sets of twins. We had no idea life could be so abundant and
full. We would love to receive more children! Exhortation to other families…We
face challenges everyday, but as we humble ourselves God gives grace & His
mercies are new each morning. God’s Word is an owner’s manual for our lives. In
it are the answers to all of life’s questions. James 1:5 states, “If any of you
lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally &
upbraideth not; & it shall be given him.” Jesus said, “I am come that they
might have life & that they might have it more abundantly” John 10:10. God
Bless you as you seek to follow Him with your whole heart & train your
children in the way they should go!

4 comments:

backyardmissionary said...

great question that I doubt anyone ever contemplates!

i will think on it...

bek said...

i was thinking again this morning. Are we so selfish to say "I WANT 2 or I WANT 3" instead of accepting what God has planned for us? just another thought - not necessarily saying its right or wrong

Tom said...

you like asking the tough questions!! ... its a good one though. My leaders in Thailand have 8 already and are having another this month... They're not Catholic either ;)

They made me think about it. Their kidss are a blessing, but man they can be alot to handle too! Always good to keep thinking though (and praying)

bek said...

heres a little "fun fact" the duggers are not in debt! they owe nothing, zip, diddly squat! How amazing! God really does provide. And I guess so do all the reality tv shows and documentarys :).
I gotta ask the tough questions! Keep the mind fresh :)