3.11.06

my course of course

I had the first night of my horticulture course on Wed night.
It was interesting to say the least. My teacher is so slow.....i have honestly never met anyone who walks so slow, talks slow, and mumbles so much! AHHH, it was a bit annoying. We didnt get through the nights work material because she was that slow.
I also felt so dumb! Everyone else there knew so much about plants! They were naming all different plants. When I was asked to name one, I got it wrong and felt like an absolute tool!
There is one fellow in our class though who thinks he knows everything. When someone would ask the teacher a question, he would answer for her (got in too quickly cos she was so slow!)
I kept looking at the pen in my hand and thinking about sticking it in his eye. I thought, why did they all take this course if they think they know everything already!? I dont know....
But I am looking forward to the coming weeks. We are going to learn how to propagate so we get to take in cuttings of anything we find and propagate it which will be really good.
*update on my vegie patch*
My cherry tomatoes are coming up well and they are multiplying like anything!
My brocolli are getting eaten up and Ive been trying a few different things to try stop it happening.
and my onions and spring onions are doing really well too.
I ate all 3 of my strawberries - how sad. No more till next season I dont think.
Anyway, Im going to try and take a few photos of my little patch, and I will post them on here.

4 comments:

"Grendel" said...

Bek,

I assume you are doing organic or as close to organic gardening as you can get?

There are a number of good products available now that can be safely used in organic gardens - Derris powder is one. Bunnings has it and a range of other organics - great for stopping the broccoli munchers.

We have only a little garden space but I manage 4 crops a year of season veges - this year's tomatos are "Green Zebras" and they are well worth the effort.

If you have onions and spring onions, consider doing some garlic as well - all are pest deterrers.

bek said...

but is Derris safe to eat? I dont mean from the packet, I mean from it being on the brocolli? im not sure about it being organic, i dont totally know what it involves...

"Grendel" said...

Like most things you use it as directed - it is an organic toxin to target bugs but Derris is safe after 24 hours in the sunlight - I use it as the brocolli is growing but stop the week before harvesting - you'll notice it washes off easily when you water the garden.

Always was veges even from an organic garden.

bek said...

Thanks, Ill go get some today! Thanks for the tips! Ill share my brocolli with you over a coffee :) hey I want to come see all your coffee kits and stuff, but at the moment i cant make tuesday nights! i love coffee and making it, and all that but i never drink it.