21.11.06

standing by

Today during my lunch break I needed to pop into Woolies to pick up a few things for Russells Birthday (22nd).
As I was standing in the queue to pay for my goodies there was a bloke in front of me. He was a bit scruffy, no shoes looked like he hadnt showered in a week or so and he only had a couple of things in his hands. He was holding a packet of biscuits in his left hand and was holding a small thing and coins in his right. I was thinking to myself (because of the way he was holding the biscuits) that he might try and steal those biscuits. As I stood I watched him go to the counter, keeping his left hand down and hiding the biscuits while using one hand to pay and pick things up. Off he walked out the store and quickly tucking the biscuits in his pocket.
Now, I watched all of this unfold. Should I have done something? I wasnt about to run up to the bloke and make a citizens arrest and hand him over. I felt sorry for him. Should I have offered to pay for his biscuits and consequently embarrass him? Was I right to let him go because it seems he couldnt afford them and was probably starving. I did nothing I just stood there, but should I have done something. Ive been thinking about it all arvo, but Im not sure. I feel a little guilty about not having said anything - no company, no matter how big or small deserves to be stolen from, but what about the people who cant get a break.
There is so much poverty here in the West that I dont think we realise how blessed we are. I am blessed to be able to buy Black & Gold lollies! So Im stuck in a bit of a mind struggle. What should I have done? Let him walk, like I did, or chase him down?

4 comments:

"Grendel" said...

See now I've always been a 'chase him down' Kinda guy, but in the last few years I lean towards 'enjoy the bikkies' for those who seem homeless.

With kids though I usually have a quiet word with them and encourage them to put stuff back - mostly because I hope that by doing that I may be contributing to them NOT becoming the old scruffy homeless guy.

bek said...

yeah usually i would speak up but for some reason this time i just watched. im so confused

Sarah said...

I'm not sure how I'd respond as I've never witnessed anyone stealing before. While stealing makes me mad, I also feel sorry for people who can't afford to buy food. I guess the thing is - was he really a poor homeless guy or just a scruffy looking person whose reason for stealing wasn't because he couldn't afford biscuits? My cousin used to dress really feral and he was by no means poor.

fletchboy said...

Hmmm....well....I would have gently "reminded" him that he almost forgot to pay for the bikkies. I am just that cheeky. We live in a society with SO MANY "safety nets" you can hardly walk down the street without tripping over them. I doubt your new "friend" was actually starving. I notice that he took something tasty and sweet, not something healthy and filling.

It is a hard line, but I would suspect he has CHOSEN to not shower for a week or so. Far too often, when you dig into these cases, you find that the person has just found life "easier" this way. It often isn't because of lack of opportunity like many would have you think.

In the city, there are multiple places he could go if he wanted a meal. Follow him for a few days and see if he can afford cigarettes and alcohol...

Yep, I think I would "remind" him about the bikkies if I were in the queue behind him. ;-)

Greg...who admittedly doesn't find "mercy" to be his strong suit. SURPRISE!!! :-9