5.9.07

"Perfectionists" - candy coating the psychosis

I was thinking today about perfectionists. Some people use the term in quite a positive way, and seem proud of the fact they are a "perfectionist". They wouldn't be so proud saying

"I'm never happy with what I do, I can't set realistic goals, I have unrealistic expectations of myself and others, and I'm driven by a fear of failure, etc, etc....."

I know this is a bit of a simplistic generalisation but I think personally I've been much too sympathetic to "perfectionists" in my life. Now I used to be a perfectionist when I was younger, and I wasn't happy. I was insecure, stressed and tired. Fortunately I can say that I'm pretty much cured these days. I'm fairly realistic now, and a lot happier. Even content I might say. And I'm still driven to do the best I can do, but I'd say I'm much more productive having left perfectionism behind.

I'm a little bit biased because the relationship I've come from was with a self professed "perfectionist". Unfortunately at the time I didn't really think about the implications on this to our relationship. Using the "retrospectoscope" it was probly one of the single most damaging aspects of the relationship. Her "perfectionsim" and my inability to acknowledge it and address it.

Now I'm not faultless. I like to be needed and wanted, and I'm a people pleaser. I look for ways to make people happy. What's the ultimate challenge? A "perfectionist". Someone who'll never quite be happy, irrespective of the time, effort, etc, etc. Now unfortunately my reaction was initially to try harder to please, and when this didn't work, not bother trying at all. Pretty sad and quite logical from the outide looking back :). We as a couple didn't deal with the deeper issues. The ones we entered the relationship with.

So long story short are the "perfectionists" really to blame or the people that allow them to live a fantasy of "perfectionsim"?

Maybe we can all learn a thing or 2 from the "perfectionists" around us. :)

No comments: