15.6.11

Cobwebs of Procrastination

We have been living in our first (mortgage) home now for 3yrs and 8mths. And for around 3yrs and 6mths I have been thinking “I really need to clean these windows”. Only just this morning did I get around to doing them! While I was wiping the cobwebs away and rubbing away at some of the marks it got me thinking about different things in life we put off.

An argument with a friend that you never got around to resolving.

A letter of encouragement you meant to write and send but never did.

A simple “I love you” to a sister who rarely hears those words from your lips.

I tend to put things off a lot. There have been friendships that have gone by the way side simply because I haven’t taken the time, built up the courage or put aside my pride, to resolve any of the issues. There are cobwebs in my life that tend to continue to build up on each other. Yet, I always manage to find an excuse as to why I don’t ‘have the time’ or the courage to sort things out.

Maybe it’s not relationships that you need to work on, but it is money matters, or words of encouragement that need to be spoken. Whatever it is you’re putting off – put a stop to it! Stop the excuses and get on with it! I’m speaking to myself just as much here!

“Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.” Matt 5:23+24 (v25+26 are also good)

It is surprising to me that within the Christian community there seems to be so many broken relationships. Is this simply because we are human and it is ‘human nature’ to not get along with everyone? Or is it something more? Look at David. He was being hunted down by King Saul who was attempting to kill him and yet when he hears of Saul’s death he mourns (2 Sam 1:11).

I’m getting a little side-tracked here :)

I could go down a whole other path here, but I will end it with this question:

What are you putting off till 'tomorrow' what needs to be done today?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Great post, Bek. I remember not long after I became a Christian someone prayed at the front of church, "Lord, forgive us for our sins and the good we ought to have done but didn't." Now, I understand that the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference and apathy.

Despite all the negatives associated with it, I think Facebook really helps with doing good to people. So many people write stuff they wouldn't say in real life or you wouldn't see them in person to hear it from them directly. I'm trying to remember things people write so I can pray, and write them an encouraging message if things aren't going so well for them.

So why aren't we doing these things? Well, I think laziness, busyness (then whole I'm too busy to think about anyone besides myself and my family excuse), caring too much about what others think... I asked a few people recently (as a kind of social experiment hehe) if they would comment on an FB friend's status if they'd written something like, "My mum has committed suicide" or something tragic. They said no because unless that person was a close friend, they don't see them in person anyway so they don't need to say anything. Or they were too afriad to write something in case they looked stupid. I couldn't IMAGINE reading something so heartbreaking and NOT saying something. It doesn't matter who that person is. I'm probably making myself out to be some kind of saint (obviously I'm not), but to say nothing when it's so easy to do good just astounds me.