5.6.11

Family Dynamics

It’s funny how families are so different to each other.

I recently became more aware of this after dinner with my in-laws one night. We were sitting down to dinner and I found a small hair on my plate and said jokingly (with a smile on my face and everything) “this better not be a pube!!” Pretty soon I realised I was the only one laughing!!

Later on, in the car on the way home, I was informed that this is not something my husband’s family would not and DO NOT find funny! I thought it was hilarious! I knew it wouldn’t be a pubic hair! I wasn’t accusing anyone of cooking our dinner naked or anything! It was completely absurd, so that’s why I thought it was a funny JOKE!

I come from a very open family. Not grotesquely open…we don’t discuss things that are private between marrieds…but we still have fun and joke about pretty much anything and everything! I’m not used to finding myself being the only one laughing at a joke at the dinner table.

Now, I admit, the joke was probably a little inappropriate, my bad.

I actually am glad that I come from an open family however. If there is ever a problem, it is usually discussed and sorted out! (more often than not anyway) My sister, beautiful Kate, is even more strong-headed than I (in my opinion ;)) and we usually have disagreements, but neither of us is too scared to pick up the phone, have it out with each other, apologise and then make up :)
I’m glad we can get things out in the open, though sometimes it can be a painful process, it is always better in the long run. I’m not saying our family is perfect in any way, but I’m glad that 8/10 times things get sorted and people are open and honest with each other.

I’m not having a go at my in-laws here either! They are beautiful people and a beautiful family, they are just different and do things different – which is fine!! (except when they are not laughing at my jokes!)

I guess I’m just becoming more aware of it as my girls grow. What sort of family do we want to be? Well, I hope we can always be open and honest with each other, but also know when to hold our tongue ;)

3 comments:

Sarah said...

BAHAHAHA! I nearly peed myself when I read your comment :D

My in-laws are the same. Wonderful people but very conservative and I disagree with a lot of their views on Christian living etc. Duncan's mum even says "I'm going to visit Auntie Mary," when she's going to the toilet whereas I just say dunny, loo etc. I LOVE stirring her by saying "How was Auntie Mary? She must be lonely if you need to keep visiting her." Oh well, I think I'm hilarious and she's starting to get my sense of humour :)

bek said...

tee hee hee Auntie Mary?? Ive NEVER heard of it!! Ive heard of Auntie Flo!!! Maybe you should ask her....actually NO...I'll stop there i think!!

Sarah said...

Hehe I'd never heard of Auntie Mary before meeting my mother-in-law. She's one of a kind, I think. I really don't understand the older generation (65+) sometimes.

I've definitely heard of Auntie Flo though hehe. Depo Provera is great for getting rid of her! :)