29.6.11

Soft like melting ice-cream

I think I may be getting soft in my 'old age'.

What used to irk me and get me all fired up no longer bothers me - as much anyway!

When I was 20/21 I would go to church and get so angry about...well...just about everything! Too many old songs, too many slow songs, boring unchallenging sermon, stale communion bread, etc etc...
But, as I have aged and hopefully 'matured' in my faith, some of these things no longer bother me. What does it matter how many old songs there are? As long as they are relevant and I understand what they are saying! I guess I still have the same issues, but they are no longer causing such a fire in my belly. I don't feel the need to jump down peoples throats or complain endlessly to Russell.

Ive been praying and looking for more opportunities for God to grow me spiritually. And while it hasn't felt too drastic, I have definately felt God's peace and reassurance settle within me.

I'm starting to be able to sit through a service and just worship or enjoy fellowship. I'm not saying things don't bother me anymore - because some things still do. There are still things which I think are important and play a part in each church, but for the majority I'm finding myself more and more happy. Which is definately a nice change.

Maybe it's thanks to my amazing small group - love you guys xxx
Maybe it's thanks to a couple who are mentoring Russ and I and who are so supportive in prayer and fellowship
Maybe it's just old age...I am nearing my 30s after all!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Nah you're not soft; you're becoming a wise, sturdy old tree ;)

Seriously, great post. I feel the same. I don't rant about the same things that I did in my early 20s. I found myself more annoyed with church in my mid 20s cos I went from a student/young adult church in Perth to a stale, divided church in Dally that was full of people who cared too much about Romans 14 type issues. That was a huge learning curve and time of growth, so yeah I get what you mean about still caring, but maybe we just learn to pick our battles more. The older we get the more life experience we have and that changes our hobby horses a bit. When I was a new Christian, I thought all Christians were AMAZING. Now that I'm older and been seriously crapped on by some so-called Christians, I see things a bit differently. You've given me an idea for a post now ;)

You're close to 30?!? I've got less than 2 years to go, but I've decided I'm just going to use it as an excuse to have a rocking big party. Duncan is 30 in a few weeks hehehe.

Anonymous said...

A good friend of mine used to say, "Who's going to know in a hundred years?"

It was always just an offhand comment but it's helped me so many times. Are the things I'm getting so overheated about really that important? Will their effects be felt one way or another years from now? If not, why do they really matter?