7.6.11

What's Your Giant?

I was reading a book last night that my Dad had given me for my birthday, called 'Facing Your Giants' by Max Lucado.
I was reading through and there was a section that had me in tears:

"What caused God to pick him? We want to know. We really want to know.
After all, we've walked David's pasture, the pasture of exclusion. We are weary of society's surface-level system, of being graded according to the inches of our waist, the square footage of our house, the colour of our skin, the make of our car, the label of our clothes, the size of our office, the presence of diplomas, the absence of pimples. Don't we weary of such games?
Hard work ignored. Devotion unrewarded. The boss chooses cleavage over character. The teacher picks pet students instead of prepared ones. Parents show off their favourite sons and leave their runts out in the field. Oh, the Goliath of exclusion.
Are you sick of him? Then it's time to quit staring at him. Who cares what he, or they, think? What matters is what your Maker thinks. "The Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart" (1Sam 16:17)"

What/Who is your Goliath? Why do you care what he, or they think? Is it easy to just ignore them and no longer care what they think?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for posting that, Bek! Great to have you back btw :)

Another book I've been told is helpful is 'When People are Big and God is Small' by Edward Welch. I've got a copy so I'll review once I've read it.

bek said...

Sounds similar Sarah! In this book he mentions that sometimes our whole world view and focus is stuck on Goliath and not on God...very interesting...makes sense I guess!!
Thanks for the welcome back too!! Hehehe...it has been WAY too long!