19.10.06

bringing the outdoors inside...


Last night Russell had youth and got the kids to go looking outside the church to find something that symbolised their relationship with God at the moment.
Some of the things these guys came up with were amazing!
One had a stick that had a fork in it. One side went down and was all smooth, the other side was slightly going upwards but had all nobbly bits. He concluded that while the path away from God may be smooth and easy, it leads to nowhere, but the one that is a rocky road leads to God. Another guy came back with a whole heap of sand and nuts. He said that he was the sand and without God he is nothing, dirty, useless. God is the nuts, and when those nuts are planted in the sand, they take root and grow and make something beautiful.
Some other guys brought in bark from a tree saying their relationship is dry and brittle.
It got me to wondering, if I could think of anything, what would I describe my relationship with God to be? Would it by dry and brittle like bark? Or would it be flourishing like spring flowers, or is it a little seedling - OR is something is that has nothing to do with plants or the outdoors?
Ive concluded (ive gone with the plant thing) that my relationship is like my little brocolli plants, their new and starting to sprout, but their leaves are getting eaten up by bugs.
Ive kind of had to start on a new chapter with God, but I feel like Im being eaten up by numerous different things in my life at the moment. Ive covered my little brocollies with flour because apparently it kills any leaf eating bugs and deters them, so Im guessing Ill have to do a similar thing in my life. Cover myself with his word, Godly people, quiet times, and prayer.
My question - what is your relationship like at the moment?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I would describe my relationship with God like morning dew (got this from Hosea 6:4). My love for him is great...then I feel it going away....then it comes back again. I would like to be fully on fire for God all of the time. Usually it's when things aren't going so well that I feel closest to him.

bek said...

I would love to be fully on fire 24/7, but it physically isnt possible, its way too much energy. I dont think God wants us to be fully running full bore 24/7, but rather that we constantly passionate and as long as we are continually serving him I dont see anything wrong with that.
But I agree, I wish my relationship could be more stable, not so up and down all the time.
Good analogy - I like it!