27.6.07

Customer Service down the drain

What is it with customer service these days – it is non-existent that’s what!

Is anyone else noticing how much we let big company’s and businesses treat us so poorly? They need us to have a business and yet we continually let them treat us rudely and as though we are not important.

When I used to work in hospitality and retail the customer was always right. If a customer had a complaint we (I) dealt with it to the satisfaction of the customer. The retail shop I used to work in said that it was better to give a customer a refund on an item, no matter how long ago they bought it, or you exchanged it, whatever the customer wished. It is better to keep a customer happy then it is to have them go elsewhere.

Has this stopped somewhere along the line in some company’s training? Also, why do we as customers continue to let company’s treat us this way? I am constantly baffled to hear of people letting company’s get away with treating them like dirt – when they need us!

Example 1: A company does not deliver on its promise to deliver a product on a certain date. They deliver it 1 week later and expect to be paid for a delivery fee. Rather than waive the fee for the customer they expect the customer to pay it….and we let them get away with it!

I had a little situation recently where this happened. We were told that a product we paid for upfront would be delivered within 4-7 days…it didn’t happen. Then they said 7-10 days for delivery…it didn’t happen. After another phone call asking about our order we got told at the latest another 5 days. I got a phone call today saying it had arrived and that we could go pick it up. I asked for free delivery because they had caused a great inconvenience to us and they had not delivered within the timeframe they said. They flat out refused to accept any responsibility and kept saying we would have to pay the fee. Now most people I know/work with would have left it there, paid for the delivery and gone on with life. Not me! We cant continually let businesses treat us like this! So, I took it another step further. After getting no-where with the manager of the store, I went to her State Manager, and then to the Head Office. They are delivering the product tomorrow…free! All it took was a few phone calls and a little patience and determination (and a threat to go to consumer protection).

I don’t think I was out of line in this situation. I am not ripping off the company and I am not trying to get away with doing a dodgy. I am their customer. Every customer in businesses eyes should be treated special and with some decent customer service. I did not raise my voice or yell or call people names, but I demanded my rights as a customer.

Do you let company’s and businesses treat you poorly? Do you have a similar situation? What was the outcome? Are you someone who doesn’t bother taking it further? If so, why? I would love to hear your stories all!

I am starting a new revolution! A revolution where customers receive their dignity back and are treated with basic respect. They need us after all!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I partly agree but I think many customers are already rude people anyway and it has nothing to do with the level of service they're getting.

I've worked in hospitality as well as was also taught that 'the customer is always right'. I did my very best to serve these people but nothing was good enough for some of them - they were just perpetual complainers and wanted to take their bad moods out on someone. When I used to work for my auntie, a very rude woman came in to the shop and she was so bad my auntie ended up refusing to serve her and asked her to leave. I said "Go Auntie!"

I do agree that there are many businesses with extremely poor levels of customer service. At the moment, I'm waiting for my VCR to be replaced which is under warranty and it's taking much longer than they said. I'm going to keep pestering them until they do what they said. But on the other hand, bowing to every rude customer and treating them like a god just teaches them to be ruder instead of learning some basic manners.

bek said...

Thats true. Thats why I didnt yell or get angry with anyone...I hate those customers that are just plain rude.

I think as a customer its not fair on businesses to try and constantly scam stuff and just be flat out rude to people who are just doing their job. Thats why I didnt have a go at the manager of this certain shop, I just asked for her managers number so that I could see if he had the authority to approve what I wanted.

I think all parties concerned need to be treating each other how they would truly like to be treated.