18.6.07

one in a million...or make that ten

I have a one in a million small group.

We have started reading 'Captivating' by Stasi Eldridge, upon completion of reading 'Wild at Heart' by her husband John.

It was great going through the book and seeing things from both the male and female perspective. It was great last thurs. night to see the guys serious faces as we girls talked, and it dawned on me just how confused guys are about the female sex (was just reading Middos post called 'missing genes' and it reminded me of this).

As we 'women' explained how we feel about certain issues, it felt so good to try explain things to the guys. They were genuinely interested too!

I, as a chick, have often laughed at how guys think women are so complex, but it wasnt until we started discussing it seriously that it dawned on me how just how serious it is that guys just dont get it! This isnt their fault though! And its not the girls fault either.

The other thing I picked up on is the constant feeling that we (girls/women) have to excuse our behaviour. That it is looked down upon for being emotional, yet it is the very thing that makes us special and different to men. We are led by our emotions more than our heads (we are all different though and some of us are the other way around, but for the majority...) and that is perfectly fine! So many times we apologise and excuse this part of us and we never let it surface. We continually push it deep down inside of us and try to be 'strong'.

For example: I refuse to allow myself to cry. I hate crying. I see it as a form of weakness. I often find myself having to literally swallow down tears, yet I shouldnt have to. We as women are made in God's image, God has an emotional side too!

We have only read the first chapter so far, and if I continually keep getting so much out of this book, then it will be fantastic! I have already read this book once before, but I have greatly benefited from being able to share experiences and thoughts with other chicks and also with guys. I will continue to post on my thoughts as we continue to go on with this book hopefully.

If your a guy out there who has a question about us women, feel free to ask me. Comment as Mr. Annonymous for all I care!! It is better to ask then to not know. It can never hurt to try!

And to my small group...I love you all and I appreciate all the love and support you surround me with!! xoxoxxo

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good small group is SOOO good. I too have a great small group, i genuinely cannot wait till Tuesday night each week. My small group is an all male group, so although we dont get the benefit of discussing girl WITH girls there(and hearing their side) it is great to be able to open up deeper about ourselves and stuff without girls there and the like.

I would like to read captivating one day cause i did enjoy Wild at Heart, might help me even SLIGHTLY in my dilemma's:P

bek said...

It would be good to read captivating, but I think you kinda need to have chicks around to discuss it with. Even the guys in our small group are still confused after reading a chapter. Sometimes it helps to 'air' things and ask things in order to fully understand.

Good luck trying to understand the female mind :)

p.s. guys are just as confusing sometimes!!

Anonymous said...

good but waiting for the next installment, 'The first 6 months isn't always what it’s cracked up to be.'

bek said...

well hopefully it wont be too far off! im still working on it!!

keep your eyes peeled!

Mark Edwards said...

Captivating women is an excellent excellent book.
I would encourage men to read it, as well as women.
I think it is a book of healing much needed for women of today, many of whom have had terrible role models as fathers, and wonder what a strong woman looks and feels like.