27.8.08

What happens when women pray

One of my close friends and I are planning to become prayer partners. While we try and catch up when we can (hard with me at work at the moment) we would like to become more intentional and actually pray with each other and for each other.

We are going to meet weekly, hopefully, and catch-up, and pray.

But, we’re not entirely sure if we should have some sort of structure to it or not. What are we supposed to do?

Does anyone out there have a friend that they meet up with regularly and pray together?

I have heard it said that there is power when a woman prays. I’m sure it’s like that no matter what your gender though!

We are both mothers – well I’m on my way – and we want to pray for our families and churches etc. We are thinking of doing a S.O.A.P devotional with each other and then chatting and praying.

Is that enough?

We are both really interested in what other people out there do. I know we don’t have to have a structure to it, but it’s just interesting to hear what other people do. Sometimes it can be inspiring and encouraging.

So, do you meet up and intentionally pray about things? If so, what do you do? (other than just pray….I’m pretty sure we got that bit down pat!)

4 comments:

Sarah said...

When I was in Perth I used to meet weekly with a friend to pray and read the Bible. Before we stopped meeting, we were reading The Purpose Driven Life together.

It was such a great time but I do think you need to plan a bit otherwise you can get easily distracted. We would start talking and struggled to get back on track. Not that there's anything wrong with talking but it was about being intentional with our time. My advice is meet somewhere where you can't be disturbed if possible. In our case, neither of us had kids so it wasn't that difficult but we were frequently disturbed by my friend's housemates or random visitors who were always dropping over so we decided to go to a park. Also if you're planning it to be a deep and confidential time between the two of you, definitely don't invite anyone else to join you without checking with your friend. My prayer partner was always inviting other people to join us without checking if I was ok with it so you can imagine I got pretty annoyed.

Anyhoo my 2c worth.

Jen said...

Pray first, talk later! Seriously. I was prayer partnering with a friend of mine for a while and we would talk and talk and talk and then, like at 1am I'd be like, "I really need to go home. We'd better pray" so we would for about 10 minutes... and I tried not to fall asleep.

Needless to say, my husband was grouchy.

Decide what it is you want to pray for. The marriages in your church? The community or the nation? Your own families? The leaders of the world? (I'm pretty sure that's a bible mandate... I just can't find it right now). YOur children? You could either focus on one thing each week, or you could devote yourselves entirely to the one topic (my vote's for the marriages) and that way, if others feel the call to join you, it's fine.

bek said...

Those are really helpful points guys!

Sarah - your experience doesn't sound all that positive!! But, at least you learnt something from it I guess!

And that's a good point...pray first!! I think we will definately implement that one!

Sarah said...

It was positive in some ways but you're right, I learnt a lot from it. I think you need to be clear about everything from the start, about what your purpose for meeting is and that can prevent a lot of potential problems.