25.9.08

Bill to allow dumped baby 'safe havens'

Neglectful parents would be allowed to abandon their unwanted babies at designated "safe havens" - no questions asked - under laws proposed by a Rudd government backbencher.

Tasmanian senator Helen Polley has written to federal and state attorneys-general to press for the laws, and is expecting a response soon.

Under the laws, parents could leave their babies at a haven - such as a police station or community centre - without having to give information about themselves or the baby. These parents could not be charged with criminal abandonment.

Approximately 10 babies are abandoned by their parents in Australia every year, and Senator Polley said it was time to do something about it.

Read the full article

Now, I don't know how I completely feel about this.

While I can see where Senator Polley is coming from, it still doesn't sit quite right with me.

Has anyone seen the show 'Find my Family'? I think I cry every time I watch it! There was one particular story that struck me the most. A young girl about 16 was pregnant and gave up her son for adoption at the hospital. I got the impression that it was forced upon her and she didn't want to do it. She talked about how while she was in the hospital she just cuddled and kissed and spent as much time as possible with him. I was a babbling mess watching that episode! I know it's a different situation, but it still plays a part. I'm sure any mother that gives up her child, adoption or 'dumping, will think about that child for the next few decades to come! How could you not?

Even if these babies were saved through the 'safe havens' - they may physically be ok, but what about the irrepairable damage of being 'dumped'.
But I also get the point of wanting to save babies being dumped in bins and left to die.

So, what are your thoughts?

2 comments:

Dodgy Pete said...

Yeah I agree with you. It's the sort of thing you don't want to happen at all, but it's better than babies being dumped in bins, or outside hospitals or police stations in the cold (which has also happened).

Cheers for the blog. I hadn't heard about this.

Dodgy Pete said...
This comment has been removed by the author.