19.9.08

More than a little stressed

Our baby shower is happening this weekend. Or so I hope!

We had planned a picnic at a local park and were going to setup some cricket, footy and bocce. However the forecast for Sunday keeps changing! One minute it's going to be fine, the next they reckon raining all day!

We had to make a call and decided to relocate the party to the back hall at my dad's church. Thing is, it kinda ruins the whole idea of what we were wanting. We wanted to have the party at a park because it is kid friendly, people can laze around and just relax. But now, we are going to have to be crammed into a hall with nothing to do!

I can feel the stress levels rising already.

Now I'm having people saying they won't come because we've relocated it! But we've only moved it 10mins down the road!!!! It's still the same time and everything, but it's now just 10mins closer/further than the park!!! I don't get it. Just makes me feel like people are looking for an excuse not to come, and I'm really disappointed that it's kinda all going to crap. We are going to lose the whole feel of what we were wanting and now it just feels like it's just going to turn into another boring party with nothing to do. Which is exactly what we didn't want. We wanted to be able to lazely walk around to people's picnic rugs and chat and catch up and spend time with the kids coming and to play a little sport...now it's all going to be crap...I can feel it.

And now, looking outside the freakin sun is coming out! AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

We had the same thing with our engagement party. Rain was forecast but the weatherman couldn't make up his mind. We decided we would sit in Kings Park rain, hail or shine! Yet we still had some people who almost decided not to come because of a few drops.

People are lame. Lame, lame, lame. That's what my bridesmaids said about people who openly and bluntly told them they didn't want to come to my hens night cos they didn't like karaoke, couldn't be bothered and were going to go to a quiz night that one of my guests had organised AFTER I'd already invited everybody. What are they, like 70? How come people don't want to make an effort to celebrate with their loved ones anymore, even if it's a bit inconvenient and not completely to their liking (in your case just 10 mins further!)? Nowadays it's like people won't come to celebrate, it's more about whether they're going to enjoy whatever's planned. it's so so sad.

I really really hope that everything goes fanatastically for you both and that people make an effort to celebrate an important occasion. I would come if I could whether it was in a park, a church hall or even a stinky old cow shed :)

bek said...

thanks sarah.... :)

i think that's my main concern. trying to entertain everyone!

it's true...you've gotta have some big thing planned otherwise people won't go these days! Now I'm stressing cos I dont know what we'll do in a little church hall!!

Sarah said...

Didn't you mention once that you had some games at your engagement party? Could you do something similar perhaps? Or maybe put a 'blokey' edge on some of the traditional baby shower games?

bek said...

yeeeeh we could. It's just harder to get people involved in games. every one kinda sits around and doesn't join in. Except my mum actually. She's a little TOO eager sometimes :)

sigh....

Sarah said...

What a cool mum ;)

People are a bit like sheep though so it's possible that once the eager ones get up and into it, the others will follow. Hopefully. It's a bit like dancing, I'm always one of the first on the dance floor cos I have no shame there ;) but only after a few others and myself get up there will other join us.

Although they're good icebreakers, you really shouldn't HAVE to provide games. Surely people know how to talk don't they? Although on the other hand...maybe not.

Be sure to post pics on here, won't you? :)