17.9.08

Class Overview #2

Last night we had our 2nd antenatal class.

Well, if I thought I was going to pass out last week, then this was definately the week to do it!!

The midwife went through just about absolutely every possibility of what can happen during labour. She also got us to pick out what our ideal labour would be. I was the only one in the class who had picked 'no pain killers'...they all probably think I am a little deluded, but I am trying to keep an open mind.

I am also in love with the midwife. I hope she is there when I give birth. She speaks with such passion and amazement even after 20+ years! You can see she obviously loves bringing little ones into the world and she is still amazed by the whole process. She also sounds like she will stick up for you if the doctor starts getting impatient and wanting to start 'cutting things'.

She had the best storey that had my laughing for hours. She was a student nurse and was asked to check if the lady had fully dilated. She checked and said "Yep, she's fully dilated". She also checked to see how far away the head was, she felt around and felt something 'squeegy'. She didn't think much of it at the time as she said some heads feel a little 'squeegy'. She turned around and then next thing you know a leg had popped out!! The poor baby was in a breach position and what she had been feeling was the baby's scrotum!!

I honestly just about pee'd myself laughing. It's the best story I've heard in a long time!


I am actually enjoying the classes and I left last night a little excited. Not excited over the impending pain, but the fact that we will finally at long last be holding this little one! It will all be worth it in the end. That's what I just need to keep reminding myself!!

Next week we have a Physio coming along to help teach us different techniques for dealing with the pain. Should be a little interesting I think...I have a feeling this may be the 'vaseline week'.

No comments: