2.3.07

busy bees #2

I mentioned in my post below that Russ and I had gone out for a coffee and a chat. For some reason, when I wrote that sentence I felt really old. I thought, "Is this what it has come to? Russ and I meeting up for coffee’s – to chat!?!"

However, I have found these times spent with him have been so refreshing, and a chance to catch up with each other, which wouldn’t happen at home in front of the t.v.

At the start of the year we decided that we would purposely put time aside to spend with each other. We actually put this on the calendar and in the Palm (little computer thingy Russell uses at work). This has been so beneficial. As events come up (as they often do all year), when we go to our diary/calendar/palm, we can see if that is a date that we have set aside to spend with each other or if it is free. That way we aren’t constantly putting away our need to spend time together and replacing it with another meeting or event.

The last 2 weeks we have had something on every single night. Mon – indoor cricket, Tues – people over for dinner, Wed – youth group, Thurs – Small group, Fri – Russell went to a gig, Sat – night off, Sun – netball, and then all over again for the next week.

But when we have set aside time (say the Sat. night) we are able to catch up on what happened during the week. For example…this week I had something that I needed to share with Russell, that happened on Mon. I didn’t get to tell him what happened till Thurs. as there was absolutely no time to tell him beforehand! How crazy is that?

Our weeks are far too busy – I’ll be the first to admit that. However, these 2 weeks have been circumstancial. They are not usually this busy, and they SHOULD be slowing down for the next few weeks.

I’m just glad that we set aside the time when we did, otherwise I’d still be waiting to tell Russell what happened in my life this week, and waiting to hear what happened in his.
Just a little advice to all those in relationships – don’t let life and work get so busy that you can’t spend any time together. Relationships are one of the most important thing someone can have. If your life is so busy, and you can’t make time, then you never will. Set aside the time now, before things get too out of control.

No comments: