29.1.08

Wine, Cheese, and slippery moss...the ingredients for a great weekend

What an amazing and blessed weekend we had away.

On Friday arvo we packed up and headed down to Margaret River with some good friends, Jaye & Asher. We had a brief stop over at KFC in Bunbury, this was the most disgusting store I have ever been to, I don’t think the floors or tables had been cleaned in a month! By the time we reached our campsite it was about 9/9.30pm and pitch black.

Asher and I hopped out of the car and 2 HUGE kangaroos hopped past us. I was left screaming “Asher, Asher, come back…” I don’t think he heard me so I jumped back into the car while Russell parked.

We then proceeded to set up our tents in pitch black...this was really fun! It was great though because none of us got narky with each other and we laughed the whole time. I was freaked out about animals coming to get me so I had to drag Jaye along whenever I had to pee. Oh, that reminds me, there was only a long drop toilet...it stunk. We would all hold on as long as possible, and then go to the toilet when we were in a town or at a petrol station, but sometimes you just had to use the long drop.

The first morning we were getting breakfast ready and about 50m from our tent was a daddy, mummy, and baby kangaroo’s. They were so graceful jumping around and drinking water. I say, it was like we were on a safari.

Saturday was spent getting a few supplies from IGA and travelling around to cheese factories, the chocolate factory, and a couple of wineries. We went and visited Russell’s uncle who owns the winery called “Harman’s Ridge Estate” they produce wines such as ‘Howling Wolves’ and ‘HRe’. He took us through the winery and we got to see how wine is produced, the machines used and the cellar. It was really amazing. We had pies in Dunsborough and went to the beach in Yallingup where the waves were MASSIVE! I stayed in the little lagoon where little kids were playing and watched the boys trying out their skim board…that is a lot of fun!!

That night we played dominoes and a card game called ‘Frustration’ till about 1am and then headed off to bed. The next day was a little more relaxed and we played some more cards, had a lazy lunch, I fell asleep while they played dominoes, and then we headed down to the closest beach near us to play French Cricket and to watch the sunset.

There were heaps of rocks around so we were climbing around all the rocks and watch the waves come up the side. It was amazing. Asher took a giant step and slipped on some moss and fell in between the rocks! Once he pulled himself out, Jaye ran over saying “Asher, are you ok?” she slipped on the same moss and fell on Asher. It was hilarious! I couldn’t stop laughing. Asher had cuts all over his legs and Jaye had a bad fall. I felt so bad, but I couldn’t stop laughing it was too funny! We watched the amazing sunset and then headed home. I can’t remember what we did that night, but I think it involved hot chocolates and more cards.

The next day we were lazy again but we found out when the tennis was being played and headed into the town and to a local pub. We made some friends and watched the tennis. The bar told us we had to be out by 10pm and the game finished with about 5mins to spare. May I just add here, woo hoo Djokovich!!

By the time we got home we were all tired and exhausted and went straight to bed. The next day we packed up camp and went on our merry way home.

On the way home we stopped by Rivendell and had scones with jam & cream and coffees, with a couple of rounds of cards. By the time we got home it was about 4pm. We were exhausted from a day of travel and fell asleep at about 9pm.

On a whole the weekend was full of blessed conversations, fun, challenges, and teaching. We got so much out of the weekend and we are loving spending time with J & A more and more. We consider them one of our closest friends and we feel truly blessed by God to have had them brought into our lives.

I will post photos of our trip tomorrow…but for the meanwhile, I need to get back into work mode.

5 comments:

Middo said...

I too was in margs for the weekend, how good was the weather! Was so glad to get away from 38 constantly in Perth to a beautiful low 30's (or high 20's, I dont actually know).

Such a beautiful place, can't wait to move there next week!

bek said...

It was FANTASTIC weather.

I can't believe you were there and you didn't tell me!! *humpf* I may just have to put laxitives in your dinner tomorrow night!! :)

Sarah said...

Which camping ground were you at? I stayed at Canebrake Pool a few years ago and that had a long drop. It wasn't too bad, better than peeing in a bush and we left our supply of toilet paper behind for the other campers when we left :)

However, a friend of mine dropped his keys down a long drop once...eew!

Duncan was NOT happy about Djokovic's win - he thinks he's an arrogant pig.

bek said...

He's just misunderstood

Middo said...

I didn't let you know because I didn't realise you were going, didnt read your blog about it till today lol!

Shame, but oh well:)

And please no laxatives, they hit fast so it would be YOUR loo that would cop it!