21.8.07

So blessed

My man spoke yesterday.

He preached his second sermon. This one had to be topical (apparently) and he did it on famine or hunger.

May I just say…how blessed are we?

I/We have food all around us. Shelter, blankets, love and a job! I/We have cars, bikes, trains, transport so easily at our fingertips. Yet we often complain over the most insignificant things. I/We don’t have an IPod, or my IPod doesn’t have enough memory! My/Our shoes are out of fashion (I don’t believe shoes ever go out of fashion by the way) my/our clothes are out of fashion – yet they all complete one purposes!

Anyway…I’m getting side tracked.

Russell spoke really well and with conviction. He spoke about famine in the world and gave us some statistics – this was my favourite one and most challenging one: “1% of global income (1%!!!) could put an end to poverty” – ONE STINKING PERCENT!!!

He had also invited a lady (Grace) from compassion to come along and set up a stall and give a small 5min talk. She was great!! She took about 2mins and spoke about the experience of meeting her sponsor child and how it makes such a difference. She left with a quote about something how we can make a change to someone.

Russell was embarrassed because he started to cry while he was reading us some statistics but I think it showed people how passionate he was about it and that he wasn’t trying to guilt us into something that he didn’t believe himself. He didn’t put the guilt trip on people but urged people to do something, that the church should be the forerunners with this sort of stuff.

I think one of the most encouraging things was seeing that 3 or 4 kids got sponsored that morning and other people took home packs. People actually DID something! I found this (and I’m sure Russell did too) really encouraging.

Russell was a little worried on the weekend about speaking because he was doing the 40 hour famine. He thought he may pass out while he was speaking on stage, but he didn’t and he did a really good job.

I actually forgot that he was on the famine on Saturday morning and while grocery shopping I bought him a donut and baked him a cake while he was at a PF thingy for Acom. He came home and I waved the donut in his face saying “I got you this and I baked you a cake!”. “Gee thanks….I cant EAT ANY OF IT!!!”. “Oh…” So I ate his portion.

At the end of the service, the youth hung around and had a meal together when 12pm came around. There were about 4 that were able to make it to the meal and we all enjoyed a nice salad and fruit. It was a great time of fellowship and laughter.

I really enjoyed myself on Sunday actually. I spoke to people that I don’t usually speak to and I think I took one step in the right direction.

I am so proud of my man and am looking forward to hearing him speak more often.

I will try and figure out how I can maybe link his sermons to this page – it may be a little too technical for me, but I will give it a whirl.

I kind of drifted from the point I was trying to make in this post, but I will definitely be posting about it in the future – sometime – who knows – but I just wanted to express to you all,

“HOW BLESSED ARE WE!?!”

3 comments:

Michael Norman said...

Tears mean passion... I had a tear or 2 Sunday, almost 7 years on. :)
Dont let him ever lose that. He IS a good man and yes, we are incredibly lucky.

fletchboy said...

I told Russ after the message....don't apologise for your passion. If you aren't moved, don't expect to be able to move me!

He did a great job.

A couple of comments....The REAL tragedy of the 1% of global income solving the poverty issue is that it isn't simply a matter of prying wallets open. Look at North Korea, and Zimbabwe...what is the biggest issue with their troubles? Leadership. The leadership in these kinds of countries won't allow the resource to get to the people even if it becomes available. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be generous, but it does make the issue more complex.

I agree that Grace did a great job too! When someone is offered 5 minutes and takes 10 or 15, they lose my respect quickly. She was VERY brief, but still had quite an impact. We had them over for lunch and had a really neat visit with them! :-)

Oh...and I noticed that you were enjoying yourself a bit on Sunday. I liked that. ;-)

bek said...

WHAT!!??!! I cant have people actually SEEING me smile at church!!


;)